[mrtg] Re: mrtg actualization

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Thu Oct 5 05:15:29 MEST 2000

2.5.3?!  Yowzers!  Time for an upgrade. :-)  On my latest
installation of MRTG (started with 2.8.12) I installed to
/usr/local/mrtg-2.8.12.  I then symlinked /usr/local/mrtg
/usr/local/mrtg-2.8.12.  The reason I did this is because I like to
be organized.  I also planned on testing the pre2.9 series.  Since
then I have most all of the pre2.9s.  Each time I installed to
/usr/local/mrtg-2.9preXY.  Then I tested a special cfg I altered for
testing.  If it worked and didn't break anything I was doing, I
changed the mrtg symlink to reflect the new version of MRTG.  The
only thing you need to make sure if is that you use the full path to
MRTG in your crontab.  In my case I have about 10 different configs.
For each of those I created a simple shell script that contained
something like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/mrtg/bin/mrtg ~/configs/alumni.cfg

Note my use of the symlinked mrtg directory.  That way I never run
into problem with conflicting versions and paths to any given
version.  In my mrtg user's crontab I have lines like:

*/5 * * * * /home/mrtg/bin/get-alumni

OR if you have numerous configs and don't want to combine them into
one big config (I sure don't), you could create another simple shell
script that calls all the other little scripts, one by one.  This
keep the load down too.  I'm not going to debate the best way to use
MRTG.  Everyone has their own personal favorite.  That's how I use
it.  The installation advise is pretty universal though.

Good luck!
   justin

At 11:06 AM +0000 10/4/00, joaquin perezreverte wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We have mrtg 2.5.3 running and I was wondering if we could get the last
>version and if we need remove our mrtg before installing the new version, if
>don't so, what steps must be done...
>
>Thanks.

Justin Shore       K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>

*Internet2 Users*
<ftp://quest.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>