[mrtg] Re: MRTG and Redhat: NoSuchName errors

Darryl Ross dross at syc.asn.au
Tue Oct 10 00:06:41 MEST 2000

Alex van den Bogaerdt writes:

> Nicholas Ritter wrote:
> >
> > In the past I have manually installed CMU-SNMP. I am not familar enough
with
> > RedHat's SNMP implimentation to know whether there is anything lost with
the
> > installation of an SNMP client that is not part of the distro.
> >
> > This SNMP problem seems to be consistant across all of my Redhat 6.2
boxes
> > though. If there is nobody with a spefic fix for this issue, I am just
going
> > to continue messing with it, but also start a web site for RH and MRTG
tips
> > and resources.
>
> It seems so obvious that I didn't dare to post this at first:
>
> snippet from /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf:
>
> # By far, the most common question I get about the agent is "why won't
> # it work?", when really it should be "how do I configure the agent to
> # allow me to access it?"
>
> I remember from previous attempts (way way back) that the default on
RedHat
> is very restrictive to protect the innocent...  It only allows access to
> a few OIDs, ifInOctets and friends not included.  At least, it used to be
> this way.

I have given up on getting ucd-snmp to work. I could not figure out what was
going on. If the monitoring box didn't have access to the ifInOctets and the
ifOutOctets, then why would it return a number at all, and not give an
error? The problem I was having, and from his description it sounds like
Nicholas is having the same problem, is that the numbers returned are WRONG.

Looking around the documentation for ucd-snmp, I came across the FAQ file,
and it says in there that the ifInOctets and the ifOutOctets are "guesses
based on the number of packets". Seems to me like the program is guessing
wrong.

I completely uninstalled ucd-snmp and installed cmu-snmp and it works first
time with the correct figures.

DR

--

Darryl Ross