[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi/mrtg scheduling question

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Wed Oct 11 12:08:48 MEST 2000

In article <000001c032fe$fe12a290$8b0b15ac at squid.wl.opentext.com>,
	dcolquho at opentext.com ("Dan Colquhoun") writes:

> Now that I'm using 14all.cgi with RRDtool I've lost the .html indecies that
> I've created (of course).  I was using one mrtg.cfg file to do my polling,
> however when I use 14all.cgi with it it wants to list all 600 interfaces.

One possibility would be to use the (mrtg) "Directory[..]:" setting. You
would have to move the rrd files manually. 14all would show one index
page for every used directory and one page listing all directories.

> So what I'm looking for feedback on is this:  I'm going to be keeping my
> config files seperate, that way I can link to them with different copies of
> 14all.cgi, keeping a device-based index.

You don't need several copies of 14all. I suppose you have a handmade
html index page? Change the links to 14all to something like

   .../cgi-bin/14all.cgi?cfg=name-of-config-file.cfg

(look at the "cfg=" parameter - can be relative to the 14all dir or
absolute)

> What's the best way to schedule and run 20-odd instances of
> mrtg?

If you use mrtg-2.9 you could use the "include" feature of mrtg: Create
one master config file which contains just the line

   include other-config-file.cfg

for every config file and start one mrtg instance on this file.

> Is there perhaps some feature of i4all.cgi that lets me display
> interfaces based on a regular expression that I'm missing?

14all was created to use mrtg with rrdtool and to get graph-on-demand.
Compatibility was important for me. Therefore it offers only few
additions to mrtg.

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de