[mrtg] What is mrtg telling me?

Dan Colquhoun dcolquho at opentext.com
Wed Oct 11 23:15:52 MEST 2000

This is really a 3Com switch question, but it may be general as well...
I've just finished setting up mrtg to monitor our LAN switches.  The
switches are 3Com SuperStack II 3300, 1100 and 1000s.

What I'd like to see is the total traffic in the backplane of the switch.  I
_think_ I may be viewing it, but I'm not certain.  When I ./cfgmaker the
switch, it reports all the ports (numbered 101 to 124) as well as ports 126
and 1001.  126 is described as "RMON:V3 Port 26" and 1001 is "RMON:VLAN 1."
On some switches the VLAN port is a random integer, and on others there is
no port 1001, but port 141 described as "3Com Switch on Unit 1."

These are what I'm looking at to give me an idea of the overall load on the
switch.  I'm getting lower numbers than I expected, and often the traffic on
the 24 ports just doesn't add up to what these ports say it does.  Any
experiences or suggestions?

---
Dan Colquhoun
Co-Op Systems Administrator