[mrtg] Re: IP address of device on a switch?

Michael Votaw mvotaw at telepath.com
Tue Oct 17 11:27:30 MEST 2000

To elaborate just a bit, what you are looking for is in the Dot1dTpFdbTable
(1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1).  This is where each MAC address known by the switch
is stored along with the port on which it is located along with the "state"
like learned, static, self, etc.  You will need a device that supports RFC
1493 and you may need the mibs in RFC 1493 if you want to look at them in
GetIf.  Let me know if you need more detail.

Also, if your switch supports the mibs in the ipNetToMediaTable
(1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22) you should be able to find out not only the MAC but the
IP address of the MACs and the ports they are on.  It's a pretty cool table
supported by many routers and maybe your switch will populate it too.