[mrtg] Re: IP address of device on a switch?

Michael Votaw mvotaw at telepath.com
Wed Oct 18 17:12:43 MEST 2000

First, you will need to go to the switch.  You'll need to look through the
bridge table MIB which is in the Dot1dTpFdbTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1).
This is where each MAC address known by the switch is stored along with the
port on which it is located along with the "state" like learned, static,
self, etc.

Once you know the MAC address, you'll need to find the IP (if that's what
you are looking for)  by going to the ARP table of the router.  If I'm not
mistaken (I was once already) the most routers dump their individual ARP
table entries after 30 minutes unless they hear from that MAC<>IP and then
they start the clock over again.  You can look in the router's ARP table
(atTable) and look in atPhysAddress 1.3.6.1.2.1.3.1.1.2