[mrtg] Upgrade problems

lucas at omsoft.com lucas at omsoft.com
Fri Oct 20 02:23:06 MEST 2000

I recently upgraded from version 2.8.11 to 2.9.1 (and will upgrade to 2.9.2
shortly) and have run into a severe problem. One of the reasons I upgraded was
because it had the ability to "daemonize". Unfortunately, it appears that when
I try to get input for MRTG by catenating a file, it won't process the input
correctly. I am running Windows 2000 Server. Here is an example, it is supposed
to monitor how mahy users are dialed in to a portmaster:

Target[pm3a]: `type c:\mrtg\interfaces_pm3a`
MaxBytes[pm3b-ports]: 46
AbsMax[pm3a]: 46
Unscaled[pm3a]: ymwd
YLegend[pm3a]: Interfaces
ShortLegend[pm3a]: Interfaces
Legend1[pm3a]: Modem Interfaces
Legend2[pm3a]: ISDN Interfaces
Legend3[pm3a]: Maximal Modems
Legend4[pm3a]: Maximal ISDN
LegendI[pm3a]:  Modems:
LegendO[pm3a]:  ISDN:
Title[pm3a]: pm3a ports in use
PageTop[pm3a]: <h1>Ports in use by pm3a
  </h1>
 <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>dcn-pm3b</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>IP:</TD><TD>pm3a (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Ports:</TD>
       <TD>46</TD></TR>
  </TABLE>

I noticed that the log file for this entry does something like this:
972000639 43 1
972000639 0 0 0 0
972000330 0 0 0 0
972000300 0 0 0 0
972000000 0 0 0 0
..
.

And the log file does constantly update the top value. Am I using incorrect
options? Should I be using gauge or absolute? There were a few instances that
the err file reported that the type command failed, but those have gone away.
Any ideas?