[mrtg] Re: Upgrade problems

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Fri Oct 20 03:19:07 MEST 2000

from http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html :

gauge

Treat the values gathered from target as absolute and not as ever incrementing counters. This would be useful to monitor things like disk space, processor load, temperature, and the like ...
In the absence of 'gauge' and 'absolute' options, MRTG treats variable as a counter and calculates the difference between the current and the previous value and divides that by the elapsed time between the last two readings to get the value to be

so, yes you would want gauge for the Options[] (and probably Integer[] too)

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 05:23:06PM -0700, lucas at omsoft.com spake:

> I recently upgraded from version 2.8.11 to 2.9.1 (and will upgrade to 2.9.2
> shortly) and have run into a severe problem. One of the reasons I upgraded was
> because it had the ability to "daemonize". Unfortunately, it appears that when
> I try to get input for MRTG by catenating a file, it won't process the input
> correctly. I am running Windows 2000 Server. Here is an example, it is supposed
> to monitor how mahy users are dialed in to a portmaster:
>
> Target[pm3a]: `type c:\mrtg\interfaces_pm3a`
> MaxBytes[pm3b-ports]: 46
> AbsMax[pm3a]: 46
> Unscaled[pm3a]: ymwd
> YLegend[pm3a]: Interfaces
> ShortLegend[pm3a]: Interfaces
> Legend1[pm3a]: Modem Interfaces
> Legend2[pm3a]: ISDN Interfaces
> Legend3[pm3a]: Maximal Modems
> Legend4[pm3a]: Maximal ISDN
> LegendI[pm3a]:  Modems:
> LegendO[pm3a]:  ISDN:
> Title[pm3a]: pm3a ports in use
> PageTop[pm3a]: <h1>Ports in use by pm3a
>   </h1>
>  <TABLE>
>    <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>dcn-pm3b</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>IP:</TD><TD>pm3a (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Max Ports:</TD>
>        <TD>46</TD></TR>
>   </TABLE>
>
> I noticed that the log file for this entry does something like this:
> 972000639 43 1
> 972000639 0 0 0 0
> 972000330 0 0 0 0
> 972000300 0 0 0 0
> 972000000 0 0 0 0
> ..
> .
>
> And the log file does constantly update the top value. Am I using incorrect
> options? Should I be using gauge or absolute? There were a few instances that
> the err file reported that the type command failed, but those have gone away.
> Any ideas?
>
> --

Daniel R. Kilbourne
daniel.kilbourne at voyager.net