[mrtg] Re: any ideas for this project?

Ragnar Kjørstad mrtg at ragnark.vestdata.no
Mon Oct 23 00:19:54 MEST 2000

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 04:59:43PM -0500, Jim Hunt wrote:

> I have a T1 (2 actually) and would like to use MRTG to do a breakdown of the
> most popular Internet Traffic.  (http, ftp, napster, smtp, dns, real audio,
> other....)  There currently is a (hardware) firewall in place which does NOT
> do any SNMP or other reporting which I can access.  (It does produce a
> report but is kind of lame and not easy to access.)
>
> Any suggestions???

If you use a linux-box for firewall, you can do make one firewall rule
for each class of data you want to do accounting for. (pr port, host or
combination).

The ucd-snmp deamon is able to publish ipchains accounting for snmp.

> Maybe using a pass through Server to collect info?  I prefer NT but could
> use another popular freeware OS.  :-)

Yes, exactly. Of course the hardware firewall is kind of redundant, but
that's your choice.

Possible you can do the same thing with NT, but I don't know how.

--
Ragnar