[mrtg] Monitoring interfaces

Jeremiah jeremiah at www.intelli.com
Mon Oct 23 23:21:02 MEST 2000

Fellow MRTG users,

I've got some boxes running Apache with several virtual hosts, mainly
IP-based.  The box in question is a RH Lin(s)ux 6.0 system and has
addresses assigned to specific interfaces with the standard eth0:1,
eth0:2, ... method.  Each interface, of course, refers to a different
vhost.  I'm wanting to monitor each vhost's/interfaces bandwidth usage but
am needing some insight.  I thought I could just do a 'cfgmaker
public at ip.addr >> mrtg.cfg' and that would set my MRTG conf for that
specific IP and monitor it.. but apparently not.  This results in each
interface on the box to be added to the mrtg.cfg file, even if I've
specified a certain IP or hostname.  I've done an 'snmpwalk' on the system
and see the interfaces...but only the interfaces pertaining to the 'main
IP' have any real values for them (ie I see the in/out byte counter etc
for the main interface and any other interface referencing that IP but all
of the others are '0').  So not only can I not figure out how to get MRTG
to truly monitor specific interfaces but I'm unsure why data does not
appear to go through the other interfaces, even if data is destined for
that IP.  There is, FYI, no problem accessing the vhosts or their IP's..
just getting my interfaces working with their corresponding counter and
MRTG to monitor those.

Any insight/guidance/etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

# jeremy