[mrtg] Re: Monitoring interfaces

Jeremiah jeremiah at www.intelli.com
Wed Oct 25 00:18:07 MEST 2000

This actually MIGHT not be as hard as I figured.. I did find out 1 thing
that brings me closer to solution though.

My first problem was that when I did an 'snmpwalk' I saw the interfaces
there.. but all my byte counters were set to 0 except for eth0 and eth1.
So I thought I'd try UCD SNMPD (as opposed to CMU) and it didn't even
recognize my eth0:X's.  So after some pondering and checking out
/proc/net/dev I realized that Linux (RedHat @ the very least) doesn't keep
stats on interfaces unless they're physically a different card.  Lame.  So
I'm gonna have to give this a try on a BSD box or something.. hopefully
it'll be pretty easy from there.  Curious; what OS does your MRTG server
run?

Will keep you updated..Thanks for the response.

# jeremy