[mrtg] Re: snmpwalk vs Getif

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Thu Oct 26 23:16:22 MEST 2000

Gordon,

Um, getif and snmpwalk really don't have a whole lot to do with each other in that respect.  They are more or less mutually independent.  You look for the OID via getif, but that's not to say that it will be in some MIB definition on what ever equipment you've installed.  As you've found out, the only way to find out what OIDs are available is to do an snmpwalk.  The best approach I can recommend is to pipe the entire snmp tree of what ever you are looking at to a text file, then browse through that for the specific OID you're looking for.  I think you can go to your linux box, type snmpwalk (hostname) (community) > temp.  Then vi temp and wade through all the information to get what you are looking for.

HTH,
Paul

>>> "Gordon Brandt PCI" <BrandtG at NATFUEL.COM> 10/26/00 04:02PM >>>

I am working on monitoring a group of Novell servers running on Compaq hardware.  I use getif on Win98 to browse the MIBs to find the OID I want, but then am not able to get any information via MRTG.  When I try to walk the MIB manually with snmpwalk, no data is returned.

Any ideas why it works with Getif and not with snmpwalk?  Is it a difference between Win98 and Linux?

Thanks,

Gordon Brandt PCI
Network Engineer