[mrtg] Re: Advice for conversion to RRDTool

Isaac Grover isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
Fri Oct 27 00:45:25 MEST 2000

Timothy Finkenstadt wrote:

> Isaac, is there a convenient step guide to transitioning to RRDtool?  I
> need to do so very soon because my mrtg box is overloaded and barely
> keeps up.  Any advice on those CGIs?

Unfortunately, there is no convenient step guide for a *full* conversion to rrdtool.  The conversion to rrdtool is very easy: compile rrdtool, add the necessary lines to your configs, and the next invocation of mrtg will convert your *.log files to *.rrd files.  Easy as pie.  RTFM at http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-rrd.html.

However, mrtg will no longer update your PNGs and HTML sources, which is why you need the CGIs.  There are currently two CGIs available in the mrtg distribution: 14all.cgi in contrib/14all and routers.cgi in contrib/routers.

As far as advice, here's what I can provide.  If your mrtg configs were generated solely with cfgmaker, then I suggest using routers.cgi for an easy-to-configure, stylish interface that will have your web interface up and running with minimal downtime.  *But* if your configs use OIDs, external scripts, and/or are scattered across different directories, one or more instances of 14all.cgi would be a better choice.

In my environment, I'm primarily using routers.cgi with a few rogue instances of 14all.cgi because I use cfgmaker for some interfaces, OIDs for others, and external scripts for the rest.  Eventually I would like to use only one CGI, but that'll happen either when I have all the time in the world or somebody offers to drop their customized CGI into the next release of mrtg.  =)

Isaac Grover - isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
SJSU College of Engineering, ECS / Networking
ENG 237, (408) 924-4074