[mrtg] Re: 1/4 of performance increasing when removing yearly graph?

mpetach at eng.concentric.net mpetach at eng.concentric.net
Sun Oct 29 22:18:22 MET 2000

Recently, tony bourke talked about "[mrtg] Re: 1/4 of performance increasing when removing yearly graph?", and said
> little or none
> Most of the CPU time is taken up generating the GIF/PNG files, not so much
> the log updates.  You might try moving to RRDTool (brought to you by the
> same people that brought you MRTG) and a frontend like Cricket.  The
> advantage with RRDTool is that it's an actual database application,
> instead of a flatfile, and cricket dynamcially generates a GIF/PNG only
> when you view the page, and then only if one needs to be updated.  That
> makes it much less CPU/Disk I/O intensive.

*ROTFL*

Nope.  In the MRTG 2.x train without RRDTool, most of the time is
spent doing scanf/printf on the log files.  Try running it under
your favorite profiler some time, the results will be enlightening.

We have 6 boxes doing log file updates, and only two boxes doing
image generation.  The bulk of the scaling issue lies on the use
of scanf/printf calls to read and update the ascii text log files.

Matt

> Tony
>

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Luis Carlos Solano wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > My mrtg.cfg has ~150 Targets, and all the process takes around 2min.
> > How much resources/time/performance will I gain if I remove the year
> > graphic of all those targets ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > LC.
> >

> > --

> Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net
>

> --

XO Communications (formerly Concentric)  |         Matthew Petach {MP59}
Senior Network Architect                 |         mpetach at concentric.net
1400 Parkmoor Avenue                     |         Tel: (408) 817-2535
San Jose, CA  95126-3429                 |         Fax: (408) 817-2630