[mrtg] Re: RRD Graph Spikes

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Fri Sep 15 14:24:36 MEST 2000

In article <39BFDFC4.979FD2E3 at vu.edu.au>,
	martin.clifton at vu.edu.au (Martin Clifton) writes:
> 1. On a couple of the router LECs, where there is typically only a
> couple of Kbps of traffic, I regularly get spikes up to 60-70 Mbps.  I
> can delete the .rrd files and start again but the same thing happens.
> The graphs correctly report the "current" traffic most of the time.  The
> problem only occurs on particular interfaces of the router - but I can't
> see any clues here. On other low traffic interfaces the problem is not
> occurring.  I have never seen this behaviour using mrtg alone on any of
> our routers or switches.

How fast are these interfaces? Did you set 'MaxBytes...'?

> 2. Is it possible for 14all to report the device uptime and the last
> time that the statistics were updated (as per mrtg) ?

"last time updated" is supported by 14all. A bug fixed in v1.1p3
prevented this (mrtg-2.9pre25 contains v1.1p2 :-(   )
You can get the actual version of 14all from

   http://www.uni-ulm.de/~rbawidam/mrtg-rrd/

> 3. As well as monitoring traffic, I also monitor the cpu usage.  I
> regularly find that when I attempt to display the graphs I get a
> highlighted message stating that "Error: Cannot create graph".  Hitting
> the reload button will then usually display the graph.  My guess is that
> this is a 14all problem.

I had this problem some time ago and got another report. I don't get
this anymore and wasn't able to find the reason. Do you get this with
every graph (daily/weekly...)?

Please add to your config file the line

14all*GraphErrorsToBrowser: 1

(if you have the perl module GD installed)
you should get more verbose messages.

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de