[mrtg] Re: Is it possible to add comments to Graphs

Bob's Lists bob.lists at raha.com
Mon Sep 18 19:40:02 MEST 2000

> Is it possible to add a text comment to a graph.
>
> e.g I have a weekly / Yearly graph showing CPU Load
> now I know last week the CPU went through the roof, for about 2 days.
>
> I will probably be able to remember that  event for some time but in say 6
> months time will
> I still remember that it was process XYZ that caused the fault. (Would I
> care ? , Management would!)
>
> It would be very nice just to stick on the graph a small text message.
>
> I don't think this is possible but it would be very nice if it was.
>
> FYI I am using MRTG 2.8.12

An extremely tricky question... afaik there is no way to do this, and a
mechanism to do so would be extremely complex (don't forget the graphs are
dynamically updating every 5 minutes - your comment would need to 'move' in
time through the daily, weekly, monthly, yearly graphs... entirely
impractical, I would hazard a guess at.

What you could do, however, is have an 'incident' report - where you simple
copy and paste the current graph into a standard html page and add your
comment - then you have a 'snapshot' of the offending graph forever...

Regards

Bob