[mrtg] MRTG output on Avant-Go enabled PocketPC?

Matthew S. Krawitz matthewk at nationalairlines.com
Tue Sep 19 00:34:02 MEST 2000

OK...  I know I'm barely on topic here...  but I'm really stumped, and I
was wondering if anyone else out there has experience solving this
problem.

I just got a PocketPC device (HP Jornada), and have been trying to work
with Avant Go (the web-caching application built into PocketIE).

Of course Avant Go works flawlessly with the marketing content found on
the Avant Go web site...  but I'm trying to get it to work with my MRTG
web server's content as well.

Apparently (and I mean apparently...  because I can't find this factoid
documented anywhere), Avant Go does NOT support the PNG graphics format.
I'm using MRTG 2.9pre23 and the default file format is now PNG.

When I tried to get the MRTG output, the png files all show up as broken
images in PocketIE.  As a test, I emailed a png file to myself, and
could view that file in PocketIE with no problem...  so I'm deducing
that Avant Go's engine doesn't like the format....  and that PocketPC
(or should I say MiniME?) can handle png fine.

I went into the MRTG app's source, and found the line that says
'$mail::GRAPHMT="png";' and changed that to '$mail::GRAPHMT="gif";'...

that seems to work a little better...  but the gifs don't render
properly in Avant Go...  In fact I'm not sure they render at all...  I
do know that they don't show up as broken images though.  :(

Now I've gone back to have png's output from MRTG...  but I can't view
my graphs.

Has anyone had any luck with Avant Go (either on the Palm, WinCE or
PocketPC) and MRTG outputs?

Thanks for tolerating my question...  I don't know where else to even
inquire.

--
Matthew S. Krawitz <mailto:matthewk at nationalairlines.com>
Director Information Systems Operations