[mrtg] Re: Monitoring sendmail through WinNT

Barry Irwin bvi-mrtg-list at rucus.ru.ac.za
Tue Sep 19 16:45:23 MEST 2000

On Tue 2000-09-19 (10:07), Drouillard, Ken wrote:
> Hi all,
> Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered before, I have searched the
> docs and online help files, etc, but have not found much information on this
> subject. I currently run MRTG on an NT system just fine. I would like to use
> this to monitor the # of messages sent and received through sendmail on a
> LINUX system. We have mailstats running on the LINUX side and it will output
> the #'s if you telnet to a specific port.....but how do you go about getting
> that from an NT box and turn it into a "graph-able" stat?

yes.  You just need to have a perl program tht does this telnett connection
on your behalf, and then reformats it into the right format for MRTG to be
able to process. there are details of writing  your own feeder scripts in
the MRTG docs.

you then set your target to be `fullpathtoyourperlscript.pl `
this causes MRTG to exec this script as a data source.

If you have trouble getting the data reformatting working, give me a shout,
or have a look at some of the other examples.

Hope this helps.

Barry