[mrtg] Re: Measuring latency and packet loss

Barry Young byoung at europe.chep.com
Tue Sep 26 18:13:08 MEST 2000

You may like to investigate the use of mrtg-ping-probe in the contrib
section of the mrtg distribution.

I am using this across all of our major WAN links in conjunction with
the WAN utilisation (ie. interface traffic).  This provides a good
comparison between traffic levels and response times.

I think the documentation should point you in the right direction. I am
using this on NT and all it requires is a call to the ping command and
then interprete the results for graphing in mrtg (this is all handled in
the mrtg-ping-probe perl script).

Just make sure your config includes: -

options[xx]: gauge

I am not sure how to track packet loss, so sorry I cannot help on
this point.

Good luck and regards,

Barry Young
European Networks Manager