[mrtg] Re: Cisco Interface Description

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Fri Sep 29 17:37:12 MEST 2000

Hi Sarah!
The OIDs you're interested in are
'CiscolocIfDescr' => '1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.28'
'ifAlias' => '1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18'

A caveat:  CiscolocIfDescr doesn't work for Frame Relay and Fast Ethernet
sub-interfaces (IME), and ifAlias truncates the description at 64
characters.  If this affects you, I have had a bug report open with Cisco
about this for over a year, and I can give you the information if you'd like
to hop on.

I modified my cfgmaker to put the description in the 'html format part' of
each target.  (At least, I think I did...I'm using a very old, heavily
modified version of cfgmaker and don't really know what all I've done to
it!)  I also included it in indexmaker, so when we're looking at a huge page
of interfaces we don't have to guess which circuit is which.  If you need
help doing something like this, email me privately and I'll try to help you.

gabrielle