[mrtg] Re: Netscape

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM
Sat Sep 30 07:56:50 MEST 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, SHOLAAS Margaret G wrote:

> I'm running MRTG on Windows, and have NO IDEA what version of Thomas
> Boutell's GD Library might be present on my machine, if it is at all!

This is one of the problems with the original message, it didn't clearly
identify which environment it was running under.  Unless stated otherwise
the common assumption on this list is that MRTG is running under Unix.

Like you I have no idea whether the Windows port of MRTG uses the GD Library
or some Microsoft equivalent.  At any rate, you may be entirely correct in
manipulating GRAPHFMT in a Windows environment.  In a Unix environment this
is determined by running configure.

> At one point in the MRTG versions, changing the value of the GRAPHFMT
> variable controlled what format was used on my Windows machine. It looks
> like that should no longer be used; apparently there is no other option than
> .png at this time? Not all versions of Netscape support .png so apparently
> the only option is to upgrade to a version of Netscape that does?

Not, necessarily.  All Unix and Windows versions of Netscape that I have
used since late 1998/early 1999 have supported PNG.  In many cases, the
reason that something doesn't display is that the Web Server is not
presenting the correct MIME type for PNG or the Web Browser does not have
anything associated with the MIME type.

Internet Explorer tends to pay more attention to the file extension than
Netscape.  I have observed instances where the Web Server returned the
default MIME type for unknown image types.  IE would display them as it
recognized the extension of the file while Netscape wouldn't because the
file was not in the right format for the specified MIME type.

For security reasons, you shouldn't be using anything earlier than Netscape
4.75 or IE 5.5.  IE requires several hotfixes to the OS as well.

Merton Campbell Crockett