[mrtg] Re: MRTG newbie

Grendel grendel at interq.ad.jp
Thu Apr 5 11:01:14 MEST 2001

Hello,
	MIB files are not, unfortunately, included by default on many operating
systems. A limited set is included with ucd-snmp, and What's Up Gold's
mib.txt is a compilation of multiple MIB files that can be rebuilt to
add more.
	MIB files describe the format of the output of SNMP daemons. An SNMP
daemon is included by default on most routers, on many hubs and switches
that can be assigned IP addresses, and on most dialup access servers.
Computers are a different matter. I'be seen specilized boxen such as
thin Cobalt servers that come bundled with an SNMP daemon that can be
turned on or left off. A generic install of RedHat, Solaris, or Windows
that does not normally come packaged with an SNMP daemon is a different
matter.
	Ucd-snmp comes with both monitoring capabilities and a daemon that does
not have to be run in order to use these monitoring capabilities.
Commercially available monitoring products such as Unicenter TNG come
with an SNMP daemon that can be installed on NT, and another that can be
installed on Solaris. The Windows98 CD even includes a daemon that can
be dragged out of the CD and installed manually. The MIB files that
describe the output of each of these daemons no doubt differ at least a
little from each other. (Haven't seen them all.) Some MIB files are
defined by Internet RFC standards, but the implementations in different
daemons can differ slightly.
	MIB files and information on what they contain can be found through the
homepages and ftp sites of many equipment vendors, and from the
following sites:

http://www.simpleweb.org/
http://www.alvestrand.no/harald/objectid/

	Hope that didn't muddy the waters too much.

Best regards,
James Overbeck
GMO - http://www.gmo.co.jp/
Tokyo, Japan