[mrtg] Re: How to configure MRTG plot reliability of a Link and end-end latency for a CISCO router?

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:21:27 MEST 2001

Ashraf,

You ask "How to configure MRTG plot reliability of a Link and end-end
latency from a Cisco router."

The short answer is there is not an easy way to do this.

You can use the mrtg-ping-probe by Peter W. Osel
http://pwo.de/projects/mrtg/. That will give you times from your MRTG box to
a remote target. But it won't report from the view point of your Cisco
router.

Since 12.0.5, Cisco has incorporated a feature in their IOS called Response
Time Reporter (RTR) (see
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112cg_cr/1cbook/1csysmgt.htm#xtocid513592).
This feature will send packets out from the router using a variety of
protocols and store the response results in the router for later retreival.
They use this feature in their Internetwork Performance Monitor module of
CiscoWorks 2000 (see
http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/netmgmt/cw2000/IPM.html [CCO login
required]).

It would NOT be easy to utilize this feature to get values for MRTG to
graph. To my knowledge, no one has done this for general public viewing.

Would you like to take on the challenge and be the first? The MRTG community
would love you for it.

HTH,
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?