[mrtg] Re: Cisco Buffer Hits OID

Grendel grendel at interq.ad.jp
Mon Apr 9 17:19:08 MEST 2001

Hi,
	This is a non-Cisco answer, but next to the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets
branches, there are references for discards and errors. According to the
description for discards at
http://www.alvestrand.no/harald/objectid/1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.13.html :

 "The number of inbound packets which were chosen
 to be discarded even though no errors had been
 detected to prevent their being deliverable to a
 higher-layer protocol.  One possible reason for
 discarding such a packet could be to free up
 buffer space."

	So an MRTG target for a graph of in and out discards for interface
number 23 might look something like this:

Target[blort]:
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.13.23&1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.19.23:public at 192.168.1.1

	And I'm looking at the cfgmaker code right now, trying to figure out
how hard it would be to modify it to graph more than one characteristic
for an interface...

Best regards,
James Overbeck
GMO - http://www.gmo.co.jp/