[mrtg] Re: Problems with Monitoring my PC

Mike Koch Mike.Koch at etsi.fr
Tue Apr 10 10:37:50 MEST 2001

Hello,

and good morning you too...

I have installed SNMP and perfmib on dozens of NT4 and a few W2K, and I have
encountered so many different problems that I must have seen them
all...until the next one :-)

However, you must follow a precise check list if you want to make SNMP
running fine. Here it is:

1) if you installed SNMP service AFTER ServicePack5, it is better(if not
mandatory) to re-apply it again.

2) You must have several registry keys implemented:
   a)In HKLM\Software\Microsoft\LANManagerMIB2Agent\CurrentVersion: a string
"Pathname" with the value %SystemRoot%\System32\lmmib2.dll
   b)In HKLM\Software\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent\CurrentVersion: a string
"Pathname" with the value %SystemRoot%\System32\inetmib1.dll
   c)In
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ExtensionAgents: a
string "0" (or whatever number not used) with the value
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\LANManagerMIB2Agent\CurrentVersion
   d)In
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ExtensionAgents: a
string "1" (or whatever number not used) with the value
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent\CurrentVersion
   e)In
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ExtensionAgents: a
string "MicrosoftPerformanceAgent" with the value
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PerformanceAgent\CurrentVersion

3) Stop the SNMP service, and copy perfmib.dll, perfmib.ini, perfmib.mib,
mib.bin into your \system32\ directory. (rename the old ones). I mean copy
them if you have generated them with perf2mib.exe. If not, just let the
default ones installed.

4) Re-start the SNMP service.

5) Test your config with a "snmputil walk localhost public .1.3.6.1.2.1.1"
for example. Of course change the community if needed. After it, if it
works, test a perfmib OID.

If you have any question, just drop another mail. Just be sure to enclose
all the details and what you have tried exactly (+error messages...).