[mrtg] Need Advice Please - prepare for breif rant...

Jonathan Ford jwf_100 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:28:00 MEST 2001

Group,

I am looking for advice on monitoring my network for Bandwidth usage and maybe Up/down status/notification.

Here is the rundown:

* Branch office situation with Two main "hub" sites and many other "sub-hub" sites located all over the North East US. Approximately 250 total routers to monitor.

* All sites connected with MCI WorldCom Hyperstream Frame Relay or Local Carrier Metro Frame Relay (Depends on distance)

* Site speeds range from 128k to T1's and a few 6MB HSSI

* All routers are Cisco (1604 to 3600)

Current MRTG Setup:

Monitoring all hub site routers and end location routers by only polling the hub site routers. I can do this with only 14 Config files (combined into one of course). Initially I thought that this would speed up the process as in on the hub is out on the PVC for the end location. Problem is that the PVC speed reported by the Hub site router is not the speed to the end location. i.e. I have to do huge amounts of editing of the config files to have accurate readings and I also have to reverse the statistics (-) to accurately represent the graphs.

Although I have about four months of historical data I think I will have to start over completely because I used Interface by target not some constant like IP.

What I would like:

To utilize RRD/14all too. To have more accurate config's the first time around.

Platform:

Windows 2000 Server on Dell Poweredge 2300 Plenty of RAM and Disk, IIS 5.0

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jonathan