[mrtg] Re: Java Graphs

Isaac Grover isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
Thu Apr 12 19:04:52 MEST 2001

Patrick Bartkus wrote:
> Did anyone ever find the author or figure out how to make this work?

I dug as deep as I could to make it work.  Here's a brief rundown
on what I've done.

I emailed Rick at his akbar.cc.utexas.edu account, which yielded
no response even though finger revealed that his account was used
after I sent the message.  I found out through his former
employer at UTexas that he has a DBA, so I emailed him at that
account, again no response.  I also found out that he works at
AOL (shudder), and through a stroke of luck found his AOL
address, again no response.  He also doesn't return phone calls.
My conclusion is that he doesn't want anyone using his program.
It's possible that he doesn't legally hold the rights to the
program, but having personal experience in the academic arena
this isn't too likely.

Being stubborn as I am, I searched out alternatives that he could
have used to build the binary stream that mrtgbin.cgi created
from the log file.  I found a few that were promising, but I
couldn't re-create the exact binary stream from his log file that
his mrtgbin.cgi created.

I'm not going to pursue this any further, but anyone else who has
such a desire can be my guest.  =)

Isaac Grover - isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
SJSU College of Engineering, ECS / Networking
ENG 237, (408) 924-3893