[mrtg] MRTG, rrdtool, routers.cgi and DS3

Roger Weeks Roger.Weeks at usa.alcatel.com
Thu Apr 19 01:35:48 MEST 2001

Using MRTG 2.9.7
rrdtool 1.0.28
routers.cgi 1.26

We recently added a DS3 module to an exsiting VIP2/40 card in a Cisco 7507.
re-ran cfgmaker against the router to generate a new config.
However, it comments out the DS3 interface with this line:

    ### The following interface is commented out because:
    ###  * it is a DS3 contorller
    (spelling left exactly)

I've gone through all the MRTG documentation and I can't find any mention of
why a DS3 would be commented out, other than a mention back in October of
this problem.  Apparently this is a feature?

We have other OC-3 ATM interfaces on this router and MRTG monitors them with no
problems.

Enabling this interface in the MRTG config file doesn't help, as the .RRD file
is never generated for this interface.  Since this is our primary link between
our campus and corporate HQ, monitoring would be very valuable.

Any help appreciated.

Roger Weeks