[mrtg] invalid function

David Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Aug 7 14:48:25 MEST 2001

during the mrtg run I sometimes get the simple message
Invalid function
displayed

all the graphs look like they're working though.

I believe it's shown when the email graph is being done, which is
defined as

Title[IWR.13]: Email Rates For IWR
Target[IWR.13]: `c:\mrtg-29.4\bin\mrtgmail.bat z`
MaxBytes[IWR.13]: 100000
#Options[IWR.13]: gauge
withpeak[IWR.13]: ymw
YLegend[IWR.13]: Email Bytes
ShortLegend[IWR.13]:
Legend1[IWR.13]: Incoming
Legend2[IWR.13]: Outgoing
Legend3[IWR.13]: legend3
Legend4[IWR.13]: legend4
LegendI[IWR.13]:  Incoming:-
LegendO[IWR.13]:  Outgoing:-
PageTop[IWR.13]: <H1>MailServer In and Out for this month</H1>

this runs under Windows 95, called by cron
the batch file initiates a  couple of awk scripts that extract the
email byte totals from the log file and print out the required 4
lines of data for mrtg

those 4 lines look like
16769363100
8288269200
unknown
MailServer In and Out Bytes - Errors 0

I grepped mrtg for 'invalid function' but found nothing, also looked
in rateup.exe but only found longer strings incorporating that text.

any ideas?

PS: right now it is not displaying this message, which is weird
because it did it all morning whiel I was setting up some graphs in
another cfg file

--
       David Forsyth
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research