[mrtg] Timeouts?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Aug 16 08:38:35 MEST 2001

    I'm running MRTG (www.mrtg.org) every five minutes to query the
snmpd daemon, however every now and then I get messages telling me
there's a lingering lock file.  After monitoring the processes for a
while, I noticed that it's the snmp query that doesn't seem to end, or
quit.  Consequently MRTG never removes the lockfile.  I'm trying to
figure out what's causing this, is it snmp, is it MRTG?

    Right now, it's running as a test setup, and all it's querying are
the in and out octets for 3 interfaces on our Cisco 1700, and some
dskTable entries on the server itself:

enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.1
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.2
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.3
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.4

    Both queries work without errors, with the exception that every now
and then, I get those lockfile errors on MRTG (and find a lingering snmp
query - which will eventually quit, generally by the _third_ time MRTG
sends the query again (15 minutes period time))

    Anyone have any insight to this?

--
H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
  Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130