[mrtg] Too many hosts in single mrtg config files

Gaurav Sabharwal gaurav at inwire.net
Sun Aug 26 16:19:27 MEST 2001

I have been monitoring my Cisco routers using MRTG (8 in number). Starting
from tomorrow onwards, I will be working on monitoring traffic, CPU, memory
utilization for 21 odd Solaris servers. In the next couple of weeks, we plan
to have 10 HP servers, which will be monitored too. Two Cisco PIX and a few
other network devices. Not a huge list but I would like to know what are the
downside of using a single configuration script for all the devices. Let's
assume the number of devices being 50 and all being on a 10/100 Mbps LAN.
Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

1) All on LAN. Should not be a problem to have MRTG fetch/gather the
information within 5 minutes interval.
2) Problem if devices are down. (Is that a problem?)
3) Problem if devices are monitored over the WAN and on a slow link.

What are the other solutions that people are using for the same? Would like
to hear back from the community.

Thanks and Regards,
- Gaurav