[mrtg] Re: Too many hosts in single mrtg config files

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Sun Aug 26 23:44:24 MEST 2001

Hi Gaurav,

MRTG does have limitations on how many hosts it can handle, but it's
usually in the several hundreds to thousands.  The amount of targets you
are looking to collect data for look very reasonable for an average
collector machine.

To answer your questions:

1)  LAN is fine.  Shouldn't be a problem at all
2)  Downed devices aren't much of an issue.  There is a timeout typically,
but nothing that would cause too much of a problem.
3)  Not too much of an issue either.  Spliting the config into various
files as suggested below would further help that situation, but putting
slow WAN links on a seperate file, minimizes any potential impact timeouts
would have (and that isn't even too much of an issue)

Here are a few tips that might help as well:

1:  Use a dedicated (or mostly dedicated) machine to do MRTG collection.
MRTG is disk I/O intensive at a high number of devices, and the less it's
doing other than MRTG the better.

2:  Split the machines up into different config files.  A config file for
HP, another for network, another for Solaris.  This is a real benefit for
dual processor boxes, since you've got semi-multi-threadedness out of it.

3: Spread the MRTG runs out amoung the various slots in the 5 minute
interval.  Run some 1, 6, 11, others 2, 8, 12, etc.

4: Use a SCSI system if possible.  Since there is quite a bit of disk I/O,
SCSI offloads alot of the processing so you don't hang an IDE bus, saving
processor power and running through MRTG config files quicker.

Hope that helps!

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net