[mrtg] Re: Wrong figures being graphed?!

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Aug 27 13:32:14 MEST 2001

You can attack this two different ways.

First, what is the first line of the log file.  That will give you the actual value MRTG is comparing the next reading to.  This is most important.  Have you tried absolute?  This will treat your value a little differently  I think I use this for a few configs, but I forget why.  You say you run the file_stats.sh by hand and it comes back succesffuly, but you only report two lines.  I think MRTG is expecting four.  Although you do say that it worked the first time.  Have you tried running the mrtg config by hand?  That should spit out a few errors as well if things aaren't going right.

Second, unless you have WithPeak, MRTG will average the week, month and year values.  Thus, you'll lose the max you saw for that day.   So you are getting graphs as expected.  Basically, MRTG will average everything to the point that the yearly will look like you had close to no traffic at all during a certain point in time.

Paul

>>> "Michael Bartlett" <michael_jw_bartlett at hotmail.com> 08/26/01 22:24 PM >>>

 hi all
i've just started running mrtg (2.8.12)
i've got a configuration entry that looks like this:

Target[performance.disc]: `/usr/local/etc/mrtg/scripts/file_stats.sh`
MaxBytes[performance.disc]: 1000
Title[performance.disc]: Open Files
PageTop[performance.disc]: <H1>Open Files</H1>
Options[performance.disc]: growright, gauge
ShortLegend[performance.disc]: F
Legend1[performance.disc]: Open Files

now, if i run file_stats.sh manually - at this point in time i get:

su-2.03# ./file_stats.sh
75
75

if i take a look at my graph, the has been an original spike of 72 (which
was about 30 mins ago), but its now registering no data as can be
llustrated by pasting:

Max  In:72.0 F (7.2%) Average  In:41.0 F (4.1%) Current  In:0.0 F (0.0%)
Max  Out:72.0 F (7.2%) Average  Out:41.0 F (4.1%) Current  Out:0.0 F (0.0%)

i would have expected that behaviour if i didn't have the "gauge" in the
options. any idea why on earth i would be getting such results. is there any
way to run mrtg so that it prints out the output of each script that it runs
so i can maybe see what is going on? i've tried looking at the log file, but
it doesn't make much sense to me!

additionally. on the same graph, if i look at the weekly graph, its values
appear to be less than the daily (max values):
Max  In: 35.0 F (3.5%)   Average  In: 35.0 F (3.5%)   Current  In: 0.0 F
(0.0%)
Max  Out: 35.0 F (3.5%)   Average  Out: 35.0 F (3.5%)   Current  Out: 0.0 F
(0.0%)

sure the average should be different, yes, but the Max must be the same
because the week time period has to experience the same Max value of a day
time perioud. or is the 30 minute calls done as snapshot and not averages?

cheers
mike