[mrtg] Monitoring Transit Traffic

Seguin, Ron ronald.seguin at bellnexxia.com
Thu Aug 30 17:10:41 MEST 2001

I'd like to monitor the total in/out traffic to my transit service provider.  Because
we have multiple links to them, I have an external program which captures the inbitsec &
outbitssec of all our links to them and sums them up.

We have the capability of reaching 4.976 Gbps, so my MaxBytes[] value is set to 4976000000.  I
modified the mrtg source code to not crash when accepting values less than 2^32-1.

My external program produces the following output...

1497274000  <total inbitssec>
224999000    <total outbitsec>
1
Transit Customer

My mrtg logfile looks like the following......it captures the outbitsec; however replaces the inbitsec with 0's.

999183985 1499495000 224629000
999183985 0 224629000 0 224629000
999183603 0 221818000 0 221818000
999183600 0 221818000 0 221818000