[mrtg] Wan spikes

Kerry Kincaid. kincaid at meer.net
Fri Aug 31 13:22:41 MEST 2001

I've a Digi Portserver at a remote location that I poll for Ethernet traffic
via SNMP.  However, if for any reason I can not get the value (link down,
high traffic, device problem) for a period of time, as soon as the
information is retrieved, a spike is recorded in my RRD graphs.

Example:  yesterday my graph was steady at about 2kbps, and most values for
outgoing hover around 2kbps, for about two hours the value was 0 for some
unknown reason, after that two hour period, there is a spike in the graph at
8Mbps.  This is highly unlikely as there are only three terminal on this
unit, and it connects the terminals to a device at our main branch via a 56k
(28cir) frame relay link.

Is there an option or configuration change that I haven't found in the
manual that can help me resolve this issue.  I have read the manual, but I
think I'm just looking at the right solution from the wrong point of view or
something.  Any help appreciated.

Kerry