[mrtg] Re: Need help with config for monitoring interface err ors

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Tue Dec 4 17:14:10 MET 2001

Wait a second.

Assuming you're using ifInErrors & ifOutErrors, these OIDs are type
"Counter" and should therefore be used with the "default" mrtg setup, ie,
not with the gauge option, right?  (I reserve the use of the gauge option
for OIDs of type "Gauge" and "Integer" as they do not increment over time.)

Hopefully, the amount of errors is very low, and you are running into the
problem of not having enough data for mrtg to notice.  *Usually* this is
solved by using the 'perminute' or 'perhour' options.  John, when you say
the spike "disappears", do you mean the graph is redrawn and the data is
missing (that sounds really weird) or do you mean it goes back to nothing?

Have you tried manually collecting your data (snmpwalk) and comparing it to
what you are seeing in mrtg?  Most of the time this will give you a huge
clue as to the problem and how to solve it.

-gabrielle
"Five out of four people have a problem with math."

(Originals trimmed to avoid the QuotePolice)