[mrtg] Problems getting cpu utilization on linux machines

Thu Dec 6 20:07:57 MET 2001

Hello guys,

I using an Suse 7.3 i386, kernel 2.4.14, with ucd-snmpd-4.2.3 tarball, and
vmstat in a rpm of Suse Linux.

I have some problems getting the cpu utilization on my linux box.
If I use the mib 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.2, it make an vmstat on my machine
and get info, but this info is the same all time.

I know what it doing, when I running the vmstat command manually, only
vmstat, without any parameters, the output lines like this:

iceman:~ # vmstat
cpu
idle
95
iceman:~ #

If i use the parameters vmstat -n 1 4 (it perfomes the command vmstat four
times with one second of delay):

iceman:~ # vmstat -n 1 4
cpu
idle
95
100
100
100
iceman:~ #

Conclusion: The first output of vmstat is wrong.
The mib 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.2, get only the first output, generating same
and wrong statics.

Anybody Know other mib to monitor CPU utilization on Linux Machine???

Thankz a lot and sorry for my poor English.