[mrtg] strange problem

Sven Frommholz - Netspaces GmbH & Co. KG sven.frommholz at netspaces.de
Mon Dec 10 14:36:01 MET 2001

Hi list,

we are running mrtg 2.9.7 on a SuSE 7.0 box, metering traffic for our
webservers (all SuSE 6.4, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2).
After buying snmp-capable switches, we configured mrtg tp poll the switches
an not the nics anymore. For one week we metered both the switches and the
nics.

Now comes the strange part. On a few boxes the traffic of the switch port is
reported to be higher than on the corresponding nic. Rates go up to 20% more
traffic. I got absolutely no clue what went wrong.

Does anybody know what's going on ?

regards
Sven

--