[mrtg] Lets talk Conversions

Troy Arnold Tarnold at norwood.com
Thu Dec 13 14:33:51 MET 2001

OK OK so I one minute I think I have the correct number for MaxBytes and the
next my graphs don't make a whole lot of sense.  Someone please check me
here.

Bits ( b )       Bytes   ( B )         Kilobits ( Kb )          Megabits  (
Mb )

We use 1024 as a factor for conversion and when moving to the left we always
multiply
For Example

   Bits ( B )              Bytes  ( b )             Kilobits ( Kb )
Megabits  ( Mb )
12910592B    x8     1613824b      x1024   1576Kb           x1024      1.54Mb

If this is correct math then what the MRTG documentation has is incorrect.
The example given in my documentation says that a T1 = 193000b

I am using the [Option]: bits

and if I am not mistaken MRTG config files wants the number in Bytes ( hence
the option [MaxBytes].  Cisco routers report numbers in bits usually so what
is going here.  My graphs so barley any traffic.

Do I need to go back to Math School???

Troy