[mrtg] Monitoring cable modem connection

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Mon Dec 31 03:26:49 MET 2001

First, the good news.  I do have snmpd and mrtg running and creating graphs
for me.

Now the bad news.  I have no idea what I am graphing!

By doing a bunch of research at various sites, I created the following
snmpd.conf file:

com2sec local localhost public
group MyROGroup v1  local
group MyROGroup v2c local
group MyROGroup usm local
view all included  .1                               80
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none

Quite frankly, I have no idea exactly what this does but it seems
sufficient.   An explanation of what this means would be nice.

I have the following in my mrtg.cfg file:

Target[r1]: 2:public at localhost
MaxBytes[r1]: 1250000
Title[r1]: Traffic Analysis
PageTop[r1]: <H1>Ethernet Statistics</H1>

It is not clear to me whether port 2 corresponds to eth0 or eth1 or to
something else entirely.  What is it and how do you know?  In other words,
where should I have looked to find the answer?

Next, my intention here is to monitor the throughput I am getting from my
cable provider. My cable modem is connected to eth0.  My internal network is
connected to eth1.  What should I be monitoring to get the results I'd like
to see?

Thanks!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman at ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com