[mrtg] Re: using mrtg to monitor cpu and load

tom carlile tcarlile at origin.ea.com
Fri Feb 2 00:22:59 MET 2001

hey guys.  after doing some more digging i came up with some questions.
my initial goal was to monitor network traffic, cpu load and disk
utilization on hosts using MRTG and net-snmp (ucd-snmp).
after reading deeper into net-snmp docs it seems that i can
specify something like this in my snmpd.conf:

disk /raid 80%
# if >80% returns "1" to 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.100
# and sets error in      1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.101

load 3 3 3
# if load >3 for 1,5,15 returns "1" to 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.100
# and sets the error in 	       1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.101

so, since i know the mib numbers i can query them with MRTG right?

so how would i specify my Target[] in the mrtg.cfg file?

i can't just do 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.100&1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.101&1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.100&1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.101

beacuse in the Explicit OID section of the MRTG config manual it says
that i can only specify 2 variables.  not only can i only specify two
variables, but graphing "1" or "0" against a error description string
is going to be _real_ ugly! =)

do you guys see my problem?  i'd like to be able to GRAPH CPU load
over TIME, disk USAGE over TIME would be good too.

am i misunderstanding something here?  any help would be appreciated!