[mrtg] Re: monitoring via. RTTMON

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:12:14 MET 2001

I asked this question a few months and also got no answer. So the answer is
appearently, no, no one has done it, yet.

It looks like a neat facility in the newer IOS. It looks a little
complicated to set up SNMP-wise. CiscoWorks 2000 has a module "Cisco
Internetwork Performance Monitor" that appearently uses it extensively. Just
to do a simple ping measurement seemed like you have to set about a dozen or
so MIB values and then later query the result from another MIB value.

I thought about diving in myself to develop something, but my real work
interferred... (isn't that always the way <G>).

In my investigation I found:

Internetwork Performance Monitor and RTR FAQ:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/ipmcw2k/ipm20/ipmug20/ipmfaq.htm

Response Time Reporter configuring:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112cg_cr/1cbook/1csysmgt.htm#xtocid513592

CiscoWorks 2000 Internetwork Performance Monitor (CCO login required)
http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/netmgmt/cw2000/IPM.html

And I have attached a shell script I found somewhere that is supposed to
work.

Have at it, Bjorn, and good luck.
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?

>From: Bjorn Nordbo <bn at nextra.com>
>To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
>Subject: [mrtg] monitoring via. RTTMON
>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:59:21 +0100
>

>Does anyone have experience with monitoring of performance
>parameters such as round trip time (end to end), jitter and
>packet loss through the RTTMON MIB (RTR/SAA) on Cisco equip-
>ment?
>
>Of course I'm prepared to do a lot of custom scripting to
>get this to work, but I am not sure about how I should
>approach the problem, and it would be a great help if some-
>body who have already done this could tell me how the did
>it.
>
>Any help appreciated!
>
>--
>Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- Size: 3k (3935 bytes)