[mrtg] Values obtained but not used?

Warren Flemmer warren at netlab.co.za
Tue Feb 13 12:57:06 MET 2001

Greetings

I have been having endless problems tring to get mrtg to log data of rules
in ipchains.  At this stage I have installed ucd-snmp and got it working so
when I do a snmpget on the OID the returned value is the counter of one of
the rules in ipchains. I use the pass command in snmp with a perl script
that returns the right info. I had no luck getting fwipacct to work in
ucd-snmp. MRTG is functioning, 3 other routers are being graphed perfictly.

my .cfg file has the following
Target[1.2.3.4]: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.50&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.51:public at domain.com

with snmpget on the two OIDs the correct value is given.

When mrtg is run (with no complaints) the .log file for the entry shows the
correct values on the top line but all other lines contain values of <id> 0
0 0 0 The log looks something like this;
98206430 214281 48178
98206430 0 0 0 0
98202206 0 0 0 0
....etc
other that what I asume to be the id all other valus are zero.

I then set maxbytes assuming that may be the problem but still same result.
MaxBytes[1.2.3.4]: 10000000000000000
(just in case, I have also tried more reasonable values)

Needles to say the graphs have no lines.

Is mrtg expecting more than just the values returned?  The snmpget for the
above OID is:

enterprise ucdavis.51.101.1="48178"

The value is correct? The type of the output has been set within UDP_SNMP to
be of type counter.

Ideas?