[mrtg] daemon or cronjob?

Garry W. Cook garry at cookbros.net
Tue Feb 27 01:23:00 MET 2001

At the risk of starting a holy war, I'm going to ask for opinions on how I
should run MRTG - from cron or as a daemon?
First off, some information about my project.
I'm using MRTG to graph ATM pvc traffic on about 75 Cisco routers, split up
into 5 regions. The core region contains 4 Cisco 3660s and the other 4
regions poll 10-20 Cisco 2500-2600s per region. I originally setup MRTG to
run from the crontab on a PIII 700Mhz box running RH 7.0. Not only is this
quite taxing on the box, but I've found that the routers.cgi frontend
organizes everything into a very nice display. So, I've started converting
MRTG to run using rrdtool instead of log files with the intention of using
routers.cgi.

Here are the questions that I have:
Which is more resource intensive, daemon or crontab? I've seen posts that
say both are best.
Should I fork MRTG into several processes? I've read that this does not work
in cron, only daemon mode.
Where can I find good information on writing startup and kill scripts for
the MRTG daemon?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Garry W. Cook
gcook at summitnetworking.com