[mrtg] MaxBytes vs. AbsMax

Mike Bernhardt mbernhardt at arsin.com
Tue Feb 27 02:32:51 MET 2001

The doc says
"If you are monitoring a link which can handle more traffic than the
MaxBytes value. Eg, a line which uses compression or some frame relay link,
you can use the AbsMax keyword to give the absolute maximum value ever to be
reached. We need to know this in order to sort out unrealistic values
returned by the routers. If you do not set AbsMax, rateup will ignore values
higher than MaxBytes."

Is this supposed to be the case for rrdtool also? I have set my MaxBytes
artificially low in some cases and it graphs above MaxBytes just fine even
without AbsMax.

This may seem to be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'm
wondering if the documentation is correct.