[mrtg] Re: daemon or cronjob?

Garry W. Cook garry at cookbros.net
Tue Feb 27 17:21:30 MET 2001

You'll find a link to the routers.cgi homepage in MRTG's 'contrib/'
directory. It's an easy to setup cgi script that creates detailed graphs and
web pages for MRTG. However, there are a few conditions that must exist in
order to use it.

MRTG must be using rrdtool to store its data, not log files. No problem,
I've added the following lines to my <MRTG>.cfg files:

LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: </path/to/rrdtool/binary/>		# in my case
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.28/bin
LibAdd: </path/to/rrdtool/perl/library/>	# in my case
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.28/lib/perl

The next time MRTG is run, it converts my old .log files to .rrd files and
it will use the .rrd files from this point forward.

Next condition, you have to be running a separate .cfg file for each router.
This is where I run into trouble, because my network consists of about 75
routers. By adding the following to my <MRTG>.cfg files...

RunAsDaemon: Yes
Forks: 2

...I thought that I would be saving resources, as the .cfg files only have
to be parsed once and MRTG should fork itself into two instances instead of
one to get the job done faster.
Now it is using all 128MB of RAM on the box and most of the 256K swap file
as well.

So, what is my solution? Should I make my swap partition larger? Go back to
running MRTG as a cron job at 5 minute intervals? Before I only had it
running 5 instances from cron, each instance polling a number of routers
from one .cfg. To continue using routers.cgi, I'd now have to run 75 cron
jobs every five minutes. I'm not sure that this will be any less resource
intensive.

Anyone have any suggestions???

TIA

Garry W. Cook