[mrtg] Re: More than one mrtg machine?

Perry, Duane PerryD at missouri.edu
Wed Jan 3 20:42:36 MET 2001

I have two machines running mrtg and I am worried about load balancing as
well.  I just link my web pages from my main macine to the second.  I see no
problem running more machines with each one doing its own collection,
graphing and web serving.  That way if the one machine is down, the others
will continue to collect data and you can look at their stats if you know
the URL for each machine.  I am inexperienced with web serving, does anyone
know of a reason to do all the web serving from one box?  MRTG 2.9.4
supposedly allows the type of scenario you describe but I see no advantage
to it.

One additional note, I use five shell scripts to run a portion of my configs
each minute to spread out the load.

Duane Perry
University of Missouri