[mrtg] Re: More than one mrtg machine?

Gordon Brandt PCI brandtg at NATFUEL.COM
Thu Jan 4 16:03:46 MET 2001

I have been looking at doing the same, but am not enough of a Perl wizard to do the scripts.  Would you be interested in sharing a sanitized version of your perl script?

Gordon

>>> "Brady, Jeff" <JBrady at midatlantic.aaa.com> 01/04/01 09:26AM >>>

A similar thing in the NT world; I have my main MRTG server that does the
web serving, graphs and data collection on the routers, while an old Pentium
server that I loaded Win2000 on is collecting data on NT servers through
performance monitor to a comma delimited file that RRD (through a perl
script) parses and saves the resultant rrd logs to a share on the main
server.  The main server can then use the logs on demand to create the
graphics.

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]On
Behalf Of Randall J. Fleischmann
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 8:15 PM
To: Paul C. Williamson; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: More than one mrtg machine?

I have 10 low end pentium rack mounted linux boxes polling devices.  These
weren't used anymore, but were perfect for this application.  Each mounts a
2 directories via nfs from high-end linux box, which is the mrtg web server.
Each polling box mounts a data directory, and also mounts a shared conf
directory.  I use rrdtool, so the polling devices only collect data and
update the log files.  The web server generates the html and graphs on the
fly using a cgi script.  There is one .conf per polled device (router1.conf
router2.conf, etc.).  Each linux box has one main conf file, i.e.
mrtg1.conf, mrtg2.conf, which has include statements for each device conf
which is polled by that machine.  Placing all the conf files in one
directory makes it easy (and fast) to use one cgi script to generate all the
graphs, on demand.

We have routers all over the world, with varying bandwidth and latency.  It
was only by using rrdtool, which allowed me to separate the polling from the
html generation, that I was able use cheap, relatively slow hardware and
still be able to poll everything in 5 minutes.

This setup is working very well so far.

regards,

Randall Fleischmann