[mrtg] Re: changing class C block to AT&T

Jim Bradbury jim at bradbury.org
Sat Jan 6 01:26:23 MET 2001

Bill,

Make sure you can ping the other box BEFORE you
start looking at SNMP and MRTG as the root of the
problem.

The most common problem/solutions here are
1) The SNMP agent is not up.
2) There No route to the SNMP agent (Try ping), or
3) The community strings don't match.

1) Check and make sure that the SNMP service is running on
the NT server.
2) Check and see if you can you ping the NT server box?
I bet you can't.
3) verify the community name on the SNMP agent matches
what is in MRTG.

Since you changed addresses, I bet you don't have a route
to your NT server.  They can be on the same physical wire
and not have a route to each other if the network addresses
are different.  Having different network addresses requires
going through a router to get to the other network.
Make sure BOTH systems have the default router (gateway)
set correctly.  Since they are now on different networks,
the Gateway for each box will now be different.

-= Jim =-