[mrtg] flat lines: constantly monitoring a machine that goes down every night

Leigh Orf orf at mailbag.com
Wed Jan 10 21:08:03 MET 2001

I'm monitoring network traffic on my home Linux box which is shut down
every night. Mrtg is running on a machine that is always up and is
getting data via smtpd. When I power up my home machine in the morning,
mrtg will fill in the missing time with the values it last read before
the machine went down, and I get flat lines. Is there a way for mrtg to
be told to fill in zeroes instead of the last value? I can hack the .log
file by hand and get the desired result but would prefer mrtg do this
for me.

Leigh Orf